Saturday, July 01, 2006

K is for....

Kudzu- According to my Webster's New World Dictionary- it is a fast-growing perennial vine with large, 3-part leaves. It originates from Japan. When I first moved here 16 yrs ago from Maine, I saw this and thought...how cool ivy, and it covers the trees... I was quickly informed by MIL, that it is the bane of the South's existence as it is almost impossible to get rid of. You can dig it up all you want and it will return. Often chemicals are used and it stunts the growth a bit, but has to be repeated, cause it returns!

See, it looks so harmless

Covering a few bushes


Covering, quite a few trees

K took a while to figure out, almost did ketchup LOL! Then I finally browsed through my dictionary, and found it, and thought DUH!!! You see that every day going in and out of the parking lot at work!! It really is beautiful to look at...just not something you want in or around your yard!

On the knitting front, finished a washcloth, so that is 3 FO's this week! Yay! Off the next 3 days so a lot of sewing and knitting going on here! Along with some good food, fireworks, and just laziness around the house! :)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy cow! That stuff spreads like wild fire.
BTW, I saw your circular case on someones else's blog, and loved it! Have a good weekend.

KnitPastis said...

I like how it looks in the bottom photo! You are right, not something I want growing around. Have a Happy 4th of July!!

Knittypants said...

It is beautiful how it covers the trees, funny how something can be such a nuisance and pretty at the same time.

Anonymous said...

wow, that has covered the trees in such a cool way.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like some pretty tough greenery! That last pic is great, makes me think of Edward Scissorhands and those shrub sculptures.

cpurl17 said...

I learned about kudzu when I was on a plantation tour in Louisiana. Being a gardener in the South must be quite a challenge!

Dk's Wife said...

We have Kudzu around my neck of the woods too. It is pretty.

sgeddes said...

Ah, the Kudzu. I work with someone that actually made wine out of the flowers! So far this hasn't invaded our property, but I'm expecting it will eventually!