Sunday, September 02, 2007

Red Squishyness!

Here's my Red Scarf for 2008! I'll only get one done this year due to too much going on, but I am just happy to have it finished well before the deadline. Go me!! It'll be mailed soon.


Red Scarf 2008
Doesn't this look so soft and squishy?? It is! This yarn is so nice to knit with!

Red Scarf 2008
Gotta love those big stitches huh!

Red Scarf 2008
A roll of warmth in there!

Details: 2 skeins of Knitpicks Sierra in Cranberry/BTW it is now called Cadena
70% Wool, 30% Alpaca
Very nice to knit with, plan on getting this yarn again one day.
Knitpicks Options, US 13 x 60" cord (could have used the 40", but oh well!) Bind off with US 15

Finished size 5.5" wide x 64" long, well within the requirements, plus it is Unisex! No froufrou scarf here!

Pattern: Me own! Cast on 150 stitches...yes, 150, and I do them long tail! Knit every row until you run pretty close to being out of yarn, beware to leave enough for bind off! (ask me how I know this!! ) Although on this scarf I didn't run out of yarn, but when it was at least 5" wide unblocked, I said 1 more row...ok, looking good, how about 1 more row...ok...hmmm maybe 1 more row, I mean I didn't want any scraps. A little voice said...um..BIND OFF NOW! I listened to that little voice too.

007 See, not nearly enough for another row and cast off! Phew, that was a close one!

ETA: In order to make a stretchier bind off. I often use a needle 2-3 sizes bigger than the one used to knit the item. I tell myself not to tighten, just bind off as loose as possible!

25 comments:

Stacey said...

Wow, I'm envious of the lucky person who gets that gorgeous scarf! Nice & warm!

Bezzie said...

Sideways garter! Cool! That won't stretch like garter going the other way.

Very nice.

Lauren said...

cool! So funny you posted your finished picture today. I bought yarn to make a red scarf project scarf today.

IrishGirlieKnits said...

One college student will really appreciate that gorgeous scarf! Great job Zonda!!

Kara said...

That does look oh so squishy! How fun.

Anonymous said...

I've never knit a scarf in that direction before! I like the way they look but think my cast-on and bind-off tensions are too different to pull it off. How do you bind off?

One trick to know if you'll have enough yarn for another row is to find the midpoint of what you have left, tie a loose knot thereabouts, then knit your row. If you pass the point of the knot, you can't knit another row without running out of yarn. Maybe this trick could be modified somehow to let you know if you'll have enough yarn to knit another row and then bind off.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous scarf, awesome color! ;)

turtlegirl76 said...

Very nice! I've been wanting to do a sideways scarf. Maybe it's time. 150 on size 13 eh? Hmm...

Jess said...

So nice. I just want to hug it.

Jennifer said...

Lovely and comfy!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous scarf!

Karen said...

Looks great!! Clearly your inner voice is a pro at yarn management. :)

Anonymous said...

very cute!!! that sideways garter stitch idea is wonderful!!!

Elspeth said...

Very, very nice! I'm sure they'll love it!

Anonymous said...

Ooooh, I bet that is divinely soft, especially in garter!

weezalana said...

That looks so warm and cosy! It'll be a great winter hug for some lucky orphan. :)

Sandra said...

Finally someone who listens to the voices in its head! I knew I was not alone!

Love the coloure!

Anonymous said...

Very nice scarf! It does look incredibly soft and squishy.

Jo said...

That's a lovely scarf - I have to go up a few needle sizes as well when I bind off anything - no matter how I try to relax how I knit, it always ends up too tight.

Batty said...

Gorgeous red squishyness, someone is very lucky.

Anonymous said...

That looks sooo comfy and warm! And terrific work to be done so ahead of time, nice work!

Anonymous said...

Now that looks like the perfect, cozy, squishy scarf!

Anonymous said...

Very nicely done!

Beth said...

Oh, it's beautiful. Makes me want to reach out through the computer screen and squeeze it! Very unisex, too, which is nice.

Good job!

Macoco said...

Oooooh that is the squishiest scarf I've ever seen! Beautiful.