Monday, March 03, 2008

Finally....an FO

Picture heavy post here! :) Got lots to say and show!

I finished these by the skin of my teeth for the KAL..Yes, I love to pressure myself into last minute finishing...I live by it..well most of the time!

Presenting...........

Merrlot Socks
Merrlot Socks
Original Duet DK yarn from A Swell Yarn Shop
Merlot colorway
Pattern at the time was included with the yarn purchase. I got this skein at least a year ago!
2 at one time, Magic looped, US 3 addi's
Ok, the usual The usual picture for socks,

My close up Mr. DeMille Close up Mr. DeMille of the much talked about afterthought heel. Do you want to know what I think after the thought? Huh, huh!

Afterthought Heels Side by each! (yes I said that on purpose, I grew up with that saying!) You can kinda see the ridge the ATH (afterthought heel) leaves. Much like toe decreases, well it should cause it's actually a toe on a heel!

Ballet shot The Ballet shot, DD is such a reluctant happy model! The picture below is how dark the socks actually are.

Hey..they can go flat! See, I wanna be folded just like this! I'm very flexible!

Ok, we are now after the thought! I really enjoyed knitting the ATH. You can just knit, add your waste yarn, and knit till the cows come home, and when you are done, pull out the waste yarn, add your ATH and weave in and finished. I'll have to get back to you on the wearing of them with shoes. It does leave a bit of a ridge, but since I mainly wear backless shoes, it may not be a problem.

I had plenty of yarn! I can probably make little socks or booties with the leftovers. As I was worried about not having enough to do the heels later, I knit the heels before I finished the cuffs. It was quite the tangle due to them still being on the needles, but I perservered. That way, I had plenty for the cuff, and still a bit left for accent on baby stuff.

Again, 2 at a time, ML is ok. A bit slow I think, but the fact you have 2 socks done at the same time is good. At least they are definately the same length and height!

This yarn is wonderful! So soft! At the time I purchased it, it was the only weight she had, but no longer. You can all enjoy knitting just about any weight you want to.

22 comments:

sgeddes said...

That is great looking pair of socks! Great job getting finished in time!

Scoutj said...

They are really pretty!

Trillian42 said...

Tag!
http://blog.katydidknits.com/2008/03/03/progress-an-end-in-sight/

Anonymous said...

These are really pretty!

IrishGirlieKnits said...

Yay! I love these socks!! I'll have to try the afterthought heel when I get around to knitting a pair for me (and not just Rowan). The yarn is the softest? isn't it?!!

Love the color of yours!! Great job!! I did notice on the SAMKAL board that you were down to the wire :) hehe

thegabbyknitter said...

Those are truly a beautiful pair of socks!

Heather said...

I really like them. If it makes it easier for grouping put me back as twoaugustgirls, sorry I di not think about the name thing!
But I am happily started on my March spring s coming socks!
Thanks!

kemtee said...

Veeeeery nice. One of these days I shall have to attempt an afterthought heel. Maybe.

The Kelly Green Rogue said...

they look great!

weezalana said...

Very pretty!

Anonymous said...

These are gorgeous, the afterthought heel sure is cute.

Rebel said...

The pictures of these socks have pretty much converted me. I wanna knit socks! Now!

I've got too on the needle at the moment, but I think I'm going to frog them and start over. Too much laddering.

Anyway, those socks are so cute I can't believe it. Looks like they fit well too.

Jennifer said...

Love the socks! I'm curious about the ATH. Thanks for posting your thoughts.

Sonya said...

Pretty socks! The heels are awesome. I'll have to try that one.

Sandra said...

Finally! Great!

Carol said...

Merlot wine is good and now merlot socks are very pretty.

Anonymous said...

Soooo pretty! Your ATH looks perfect.

Beth said...

Lovey! The ATH looks very nice. I like the look the ridge makes but I'd like to hear how they feel. I've never tried the ATH but now I'm thinking I might give it a try.

Anonymous said...

Great post, and great socks! Love all the pics, thanks to your DD's cooperative feet. :D

Thanks for all your 'thoughts' on the heel too, lol. Sounds less complicated than I imagined, maybe I'll give it a go sometime.

Knitting Bandit said...

Okay, you've totally talked me into an ATH. I just bought my first Duets Sock Yarn (in Middy). I didn't get the free pattern but I can't imagine it'll be to hard to find one. Thanks for sharing your ATH experience!

Batty said...

Love the colorway and those socks! Pictures are always good. I think I need to try that yarn.

Ragan Knits etc... said...

Your socks look wonderful! Nice heels.