Thursday, September 25, 2008

It's a bit rainy and gray outside today....

So I thought I'd share a bit o'sunshine and some pictures from our trip to Maine in August

Ecchinacea flowers
Hubby's cousin's wife's organic garden. These are echinacea (or purple coneflowers) she grows.

Ecchinacea flowers
These flowers cross the entire garden and are so lovely!

Part of the garden
This is a view of only 1/2 of her garden. Right behind me is the echinacea row. She gets paid for providing organic veggies to a senior citizens home nearby. She also has a little farm stand in the front of her house to sell whatever doesn't get delivered or sold at the local farmers marker. Perfect way to spend the summer as she is a teacher during the school year. One day..I'll try this...


College man is batting away the mosquitos, the girl is trying to like a donkey.
Hi there Donkey

the pasture
Here are the other 2. Don't know their names though.

As you can see, she has absolutely no interest in going inside the barn to feed the donkeys.
About to go into the stalls


They also have chickens and sell the eggs.
Did you know...
She's made nice beds for them to lay eggs in, but somehow they enjoy hanging out in the rafters. I don't think I'd step foot inside without a hat on though! ;)

Chickens on the road
Chickens on the road. These are such pretty chickens too, all different kinds. Hubby wants chickens when we retire. I told him for eggs only. I don't think I could raise them, then...well..you know... see them on my table later.

leetle butterfly
Finally caught one of the many pretty butterflies that were all around these flowers.

Have a great Thursday!

13 comments:

Christie said...

Purty! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. Where in Maine is this?

Chris said...

Love the coneflower pictures!

cpurl17 said...

That is so pretty! I think a farm sounds so lovely but I'd be reluctant to go into the chicken house too.

whichendisup said...

thanks for the bit of color on a gloomy day!

Bezzie said...

Add some potatoes to that garden and I can see why you can't wait to go home!

Trillian42 said...

I LOVE that first picture of the echinacea! Awesome shot!

Sandra said...

organic garden is quite commitment, right?
lovely farm! I know I couldn't do it!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful piece of property they have! Great butterfly picture.

Julie said...

Just beautiful, Maine is one of my favorite states to visit.

Marisol said...

Hey I really like your new blog's look and feel!

weezalana said...

What gorgeous pics! And LOL - yeah, I don't think I'd venture into that chicken house without a hat AND an umbrella.

Robin said...

Beautiful photos!!! BTW, what kind of camera do you have? I love the pictures it takes.