Monday, January 05, 2009

A Recipe

Ok, here it is :)

Scone Bread

Scone Bread

Recipe makes 2 - 8" cake pans, feel free to 1/2 it if need be. Also, remember, it is not a sweet bread either. The dried fruit gives is flavor, but if you are wanting something really sweet, this isn't it.

Bowl 1 mix together:

5 cups all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
4 tea. baking powder
1 tea. baking soda
3 tbl. butter/marg

Mix first 4 ingredients together then cut in the butter, set aside.

Bowl 2 mix together:

3 cups buttermilk
2 eggs

Pour wet mixture into dry mixture and beat for 5 minutes. Batter should not be lumpy and consistency will change.

Add 1 tbls. flour to at least 1 cup of dried fruit (raisins, craisins, blueberries...etc) and add to bread mixture. Feel free to use more dried fruit, whatever amount is fine. In the one above I used about 1 1/2 cups total.

Pour into 1 large (thinking bundt or tube or heck 13 x 9 pan or 2 small 8" cake pans)

Bake 350 degrees for 20 mins, then bake 325 for 1 hour. I usually go a bit less than an hour due to my oven. I like the outside crusty, but not burnt. It'll be clean with a toothpick and hard on the outside.

LMK if you have any questions! :) I have no idea where the recipe came from either so I can't give credit...

7 comments:

Chris Tolomei (alicethelma) said...

Funny - I was thinking recipe today too but for blueberry pie. Must try your scone bread soon!

Chris Tolomei (alicethelma) said...

Oh and can you add me to your blogroll? You have the longest blogroll I've ever seen! LOL

IrishGirlieKnits said...

Oh my dad would love this! It looks like a mix of his two favorites...scones and irish soda bread! Delish!

Bezzie said...

Mmmm...delish! Thanks for sharing!!!

Oh and the Sheepy Calendar came yesterday--thank you!! Hee hee!

Mag said...

Looks like a great recipe. I will save it for next holiday. Thanks!

Shannon said...

This looks great! I'll definitely have to make it! Perfect for breakfast.

weezalana said...

Now you know I'm not much for sugar, but I loves me some breakfast sweets! Totally going to make this!