Monday, August 14, 2006

The Final Verdict.........

Is.....well see for yourself! What I had feared slightly has happened. It is too BIG! It is soft but feels like a shift, not the least bit form fitting and slides off the shoulders for strap showing (which I cannot stand whatsoever!!!) I thought I could wear it for a bit and see, but the shoulders keep falling off. ;(

Yeah, I'm trying to make it work!

Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece in Truffle 3 1/4 skeins

Multiple needles, sizes US 6 and 8 (got gauge with 8's!) Tried out my new pair of Knitpicks interchangeables on the ribbing...sweet, just whisked through that. Yeah sometimes I change needles...this was knit on addi turbos and naturas and Denises also. ETA, my stitch gauge always stayed the same...5 sts per inch with either needle. Sometimes I have to change needles to move the knitting along due to the weather...or ?? just know I need to.

Look Ma...its falling off me shoulders!!!

I mean, look at the arms!!! I could fit my other one in there!


Yes I want it form fitting, but not tight. This is the XL! I am sad, I admit, all that work and I cannot wear it. However, one has to have winners and losers or how else would we learn. This was my first top-down sweater/top and my first real finished one. I was warned to frog it last week during my meltdown, but I really needed to do this, I really needed to see what will work and not work, I think without finishing it, I would have had doubt, did I do the right thing? Is the new one going to be too small?? EEEKKK!

So...sizing...an issue, a BIG one! This pattern was for 40"-XL...I even thought it would be too small as I have a 46" bust. So riddle me this...why...I thought it was 6" of negative ease by making the 40" bust size. I admit, I have no shoulders...I feel like a rectangle. So I have future tops in the almost swatching stage. What do I do? Is it just this pattern, being a raglan top down or......... hmmmm what to do.. I do want to do this again, I can be better at it...so should I go down to the size 38 or 36??? The best thing about knitting a top rather than sewing....I can frog and reknit...can't..um...pick out seams and resew something too small LOL! Too big, yeah, but too small, nope!

On a happier note, sock knitting is underway again. That and swatching, and sewing...frogging possibly happening soon too...

Thank you everyone for your kind comments and cheering me on! I appreciate and I'm sure I'll still need it in the future! One of these days...the verdict will be.....COOL!!! It FITS!!

not sure what year or millenium...but it WILL happen LOL!

ETA: Hey, look down to my post from 8 August! See the neckline there and now today...some difference..yes?? Did I block too much? Should I wet it and place in the dryer?? I've gotten some great ideas on possible fixes...YAY this could be salvaged!

Posted by Picasa

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful work!

Anonymous said...

I think you did a great job on the sweater! I remember a while back I made a camisole with some alpaca yarn and Oh boy what a disaster the straps were too big if I lifted my arms you could things you really shouldn't be seeing. Needless to say it now resides in the back of my closet. Even though I'll never wear it but I did learn a lot from making it.

Jennifer said...

Uh-oh. I think it looks good on you though, but I understand how frustrating a knit can be when it doesn't feel right or comfortable for you.

Trillian42 said...

Actually, I think it still looks cute.

Is there any way you could do a round of single crochet or something around the neckline to bring it in a bit? Or maybe run some thin elastic through the stitches?

Anonymous said...

I think it looks good on you, but I know how frustrating it is when something doesn't fit exactly the way you want it to. I wonder if changing needles was part of the problem. I know I get completely different gauge on wood than I do metal.

Jerry & Maxy said...

Oh crippity crap, Z. I'm so sorry! The color looks great on you. Perhaps someone from the boards can answer your GOOD question about ease and negative ease and why it doesn't fit...I'd love to know the answer too.

Brenda in Toronto said...

i had luck with throwing mine in the dryer (i used cotton fleece as well) - just be sure to keep an eye on it. after a few wears mine has stretched back out, so back in the dryer it goes! can't hurt to try before ripping it all out...

cpurl17 said...

I think it looks cute on you but, like the others, I know it sucks that it's not perfect!!

lobstah said...

Argh, that is very frustrating! I also wonder about the change in needles/gauge issue--it sounds like the size you chose should've been the correct one...hmmm.
I had to rip out my very first sweater 'cause it came out HUGE! It's definitely a learning process.

knottygnome said...

with top down raglans, i always stop the raglan increases when the back and front pieces meet under my armpit, no matter what the pattern says.

i'm sorry it didn't turn out the way that you wanted. the color is really good on you though.

sgeddes said...

Well it is very pretty, and I really think it looks nice on.
But it sucks that it isn't what you wanted!

This is what scares me off from knitting a sweater. I've got the yarn and pattterns picked out - but what if it doesn't fit? After all that work...I don't know if I would take that very well.

Lisa said...

I find us gals with larger boobies than our waists (unlike the model in the pattern) have a hard time with the fit of this pattern.

My bust is 36" and my wasit is 33", so I increased around my bust until I 180 stitches (5*36), then started decreasing every 4 rows until I reached 165. Then started to increase to accomdate my 36" hips. Mine fits much better now with these mods.

Sorry yours was too small, now too big. Will you start it again?

Anonymous said...

Hmm. I don't know what to tell you except that you did need more negative ease. And the beauty of top down knitwear is that you should try it on frequently to see if it fits the way you want it to. You could frog some of the bottom, and add more waist shaping. It looks great though!

Elspeth said...

I don't know which is worse -- I consistently make things too small, so I have them but can't wear them at all! I think you should go down one size if you're willing to go back and redo it. I don't think I'd have the patience.

Sarah said...

I love it still though...

Negative ease? Is that it?

But it is gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

It's a total bummer when you knit and knit and then it doesn't fit! I'm VERY funny about how my clothes *feel* on my body and if something isn't right I know myself well enough that I'm not going to wear it - I've got 2 sleeveless summer sweaters that I plan to fix this winter so they are wearable next summer.

My knit buddies are always ragging on my about my perfectionism and willingness to rip, rip, rip...but I'm on too tight of a yarn budget to be able to throw 'em off in the corner and forget about 'em. I think it proves that I'm a process knitter :)

aija said...

I've never made a garment before so I can't help with ease, the pic where you're trying to make it work looks great on you! I hope your blocking trick works!

I also get diff. gauge on diff. needles-- for me, the big difference is the composition of the needles; I knit tightest on metal, loosest on plastic.

Bezzie said...

See I kind of like a tad bit looser. (Esp. the sleeves! They look great!)
But I also know what it's like to spend so much time on something not to have it fit the way you want it to :-(

Sherrill said...

Bummer Z...I'm now worried for mine. I also made the 40" bust size...the arms seems to be too big from trying on...but I will most likely have to finish it like you have to determine how it fits all finished. So...are you frogging this one or keeping it as a momento of a labor of love?

Great job anyway...

turtlegirl76 said...

Aww...I really hope re-blocking fixes it for you! It should! I agree with Bezzie though, I like the looser look of the sleeves and the body. If you can fix the neckline, I honestly think it would be prefect! Here's hoping you can fix the neckline.

Zee said...

Here's hoping you can fix it by reblocking! It is a lovely top!

(hugs!)

Rain said...

I think it looks great on you in the first pic, honestly I do. I see what you mean about the neck, but a bit of blocking should help, if not then some crochet. I get a bit 'meh' about things just after I've finshed them. Leave it a bit before you make a decision as you may find it grows on you (although not literally I hope...)