Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Can't keep a knitter down!

Ok, spent last nite recovering from my ill fitting brown gable!! Not in misery..just plumb worn out. Didn't even knit a stitch...have 2 socks in progress...but..just didn't have the energy.

So, when I got home this evening, a package revealed my Dale of Norway Svale yarn had arrived! In blue to make Ribby Shell from Chic Knits. I've had the pattern for almost a year..and wanted to use my SWTC bamboo for it, but was advised it may not work. So in walks this yarn....I wanted to use it for Sizzle but way too much yardage needed..yikes...story of my life! I'm also wondering if I should make the flat panel front or go all out for ribbing?

So swatching will commence in the next few days..BTW: need to use a US 6 x 29" Can't find my denise tips in that size (in an WIP somewhere LOL!) So I plan to use my 24" knitpicks ones, or could I use the 32" ones? The dilemma...5" less of cord, scrunched up stitches....or 3" too much of cord, possible stretched out stitches..what to do...what to do... ;)


Here's the progress on my One-Skein Pal's gift. I've been torn between a felted bowl or this scrubby made from Aloo Yarn

.


It smells a bit...but not too bad to knit. Kinda weird though, like I am knitting thread with hunks of fiber. I need to knit 23" of this and then the icord and voila a scrubby. The bath mitt is crocheted...should be interesting :) I figure if it fails...I have backup...I have wool and I know how to use it! :)

16 comments:

sgeddes said...

I think the ribby shell will be nice. Have you knit any ChicKnits pattern before? I've thought of doing the scoop de jour.

That aloo is interesting. I had never seen that. Looks like it would feel similar to hemp.

Anonymous said...

I have also wanted to make ribby shell. I can't wait to see how yours turns out!

aija said...

rip brown gable :(

i like the word, "aloo." :)

Jennifer said...

That ribby shell is super cute.

soapy said...

can't wait to see your ribby shell
looks like it'll be very stretchy fabric too! ;o)

Anonymous said...

Love the ribby shell pattern!

Amy said...

I used Svale for a ribbed shell and it looks nice, the drape is good and very soft when finished.

Elspeth said...

I would make the scrubby. It's really interesting, just like I think the One Skein swap was supposed to be. The shell will be great!

Anonymous said...

I vote all ribby, I think the flat panel thing looks a little weird, or atleast I thought so. What size are you knitting? The ribs pull in so you could probably get away with 0 ease! :)

Jen said...

Use a smaller cord rather than a bigger one. Better to scrunch the stitches than to stretch them out. :)

Sarah said...

Hmmm, the bath puff looks cool...I'm interested in seeing your final thoughts on it!

Jillio said...

thanks for the comments on my blog! how junky about your green (truffle?) gable! does cotton fleece shrink? how crazy is that, huh? well, it was a quick knit so if you absolutely must re-knit, then it won't be so bad? i've been itching to buy that pattern, but i opted instead to buy that first shirt on my blog cuz it looked similar...i'm lazy like that. hah!
aren't those knitpicks needles awesome? i only have sock sized needles, but that's good enough for me! i'm in loooove, i tell you.
i always think a little less cord is better than too much, but if your 32" are too long, you could magic loop it a bit to get the excess cord out of the way. the knitpicks cords are flexible enough where it won't be too bad, i don't think. i'll be tuning in to see how everything goes!

cpurl17 said...

I can't wait to see how the new sweater comes out!!

Anonymous said...

I too think that the ribby shell is going to look great, can't wait to see how it's gonna turn out!

Anonymous said...

You are on fire! Keep on going!

Elspeth said...

Aloo is some Indian dish, right? It was part of my friend's email address!

So when you have a minute, let us know about your 10 favorite yarns! (See my blog for the link, but that's basically it.)