Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Flower Power

Yesssssssssssssssss! Finally I present to you Pink Petal

Pink Petal Blanket
aka Flower Baby Blanket . I made the pictures small as I didn't want your eyes searing from the pinkness. Very difficult to photograph as well. I have not knit on anything else for the last few days while recovering. Only 1 petal was done, I still had 5 more. So when I wasn't napping, I knit this. I admit there was some tinking due to sleepiness a few times....

Yes, folks I only knit on 1 project. Hard to believe, but I wanted this done before I started back at work. Besides the baby's Mom is back at work and I wanted to gift it before the kid started kindergarten LOL!

This project started in April when I found the pattern (see link above) in a newsletter. When I found out it called for wool, well my first idea was a cotton due to our weather here. So, onward I looked to find some of the now discontinued colors of Cotton Ease. Pam came to my rescue. (thanks again Pam!) It is a good substitution for someone in a hotter climate or just wants to use cotton. Wool still would be a great idea as you can spit-splice and have no ends to weave in..yeah, that was a bit of a pain. You can also sub with a super chunky yarn and not have to use a doubled yarn (twisting..ick!)

Pink Petal Blanket
4 skeins Cotton Ease Bubble Gum - Yarn doubled
l skein Cotton Ease Pineapple - Yarn doubled (less than 1)
10.5 Knitpicks and Inox Circs.
Started April 2007-Finished August 2007
I learned how to M1's without holes...well I say that now after about 50 or more M1's ;) (lost count!)

Other deadline projects got in the way. I was going good and just kept pushing it aside. It calls for basically knitting it all in the round after you complete the center, just a lot of M1's! When it got too large for the 40" circular, I used my 60" knitpicks circular. The petal tips are knit separately, so instead of putting the unworked petals on scrap yarn, I used the larger circular to hold the stitches, and knit each petal with another needle. (did that make sense??)
Pink Petal Blanket See the colors in another light. I tried an outdoor photo, but no real places to do so.

All folded up All folded up and ready to go!
I'm proud of myself that I have not knit anything else but this since Friday. Now I have other projects itching to go, and hoping to have a few more FO's before I go back to work on Monday.

I'm recovering well, thanks for the well wishes. So glad I took the week off to recuperate. I needed it!

31 comments:

LadyLungDoc said...

Good work!

Anonymous said...

This is really cool! I think I must knit this too!

Nell said...

Great Zonda! It has given me inspiration for two babies on the way! Although no idea if they're girls......

IrishGirlieKnits said...

That is just about the cutest thing ever!! I know from following your progress it certainly was not the easiest...but well worth it!! Fantastic!!

Faerynuff said...

That is gorgeous! It would go well with the petal bib from One Skein.

Bezzie said...

YAY! It's done and it looks fabulous! Great job!

Anonymous said...

Yay for finishing the flowr blanket! It's beautiful. The new mom is going to love it.

Stacey said...

that is adorable!!!

chemgrrl said...

Ack! The cuteness! I am verkelmpt!

Anonymous said...

That's terrific! I can only imagine how heavy it must have gotten there towards the end. You must be doing M1s in your sleep by now.

So cute!!

Jennifer said...

So darn cute!

Karen said...

I love it . . . . it came out awesome. I think the cotton was a good choice for a baby blanket, and the colors are perfect. I love bright, cheery colors for babies.

Mom said...

adorable! i would love to knit that blanket for the next person to have a baby but appartently me and my friends do no know how to have girls, only boys. Lol great job!

sgeddes said...

Congratualtions on finishing the flower power blanket! It came out great. It is such a cute blankie. I know the mom will really love this!

I'm also really glad to hear you are feeling well and recovering nicely!

Sonya said...

That is SO cute!! Congrats on getting it done. The recipients are going to love it.

The Kelly Green Rogue said...

that looks great! what a cute idea for a baby blanket!

weezalana said...

How cute is that! Well done!

Kara said...

Oh, that is so darling! What a cute idea for a baby blanket. I can just see a cute little baby snuggling in it.

Sarah said...

VERY cute! I love it!

Anonymous said...

That is just fantastic!! I love that you did it in cotton, and it looks so cute all folded up into a perfect petal. It's a beautiful gift! :)

Anonymous said...

Looks great! I don't think I would have the patience, but the end result is so cute :-)

Elspeth said...

Sooo cute! It almost makes me want a girl/baby!

peaknits said...

This is darling, what a lucky little one to get such a fun blanket - I mean out of bubblegum and pineapple - how fitting:)

Lauren said...

That is such an awesome blanket! I want to make one, but I have no one to make it for.

Batty said...

Awesome! I love the big floral hippie blankie!

lobstah said...

I've just got to add to the chorus of "Squee!" Adorable blanket and well worth the hard work!

Sherrill said...

Very "Pretty in Pink"...

Niki said...

That is just adorable!!! Great job:)

Unknown said...

Oh wow, that is one great blanket! Beautiful.

Jess said...

That turned out so perfect. It kind of makes me want to have another baby so that I could knit this and swaddle them in it. It would work so well for swaddling...
No, on second thought, I would swaddle a baby doll. No more little ones for me...
Blankets though, thats a whole different story.
Again, fabulous job!

Chelle said...

Your flower blanket is beautiful! Fabulous job!