Monday, February 11, 2008

What...drunken sewing!

Well, geesh, it sure looks like I was.... Every 5 or so stitches the needle skips a bit. I was looking directly at said needle and I would watch it slightly move. Thus this jagged look instead of a straight line. (yes I am Type A, and have stringent QC standards)

(ETA: Thanks for the advice on the needles. It was the first thing I tried to change. I've tried topstitch needles, metallic needles, denim/jeans, and regular 90 needles. But, not leather..hmmm, might have to go get some tomorrow!)

Hmmm Straight line?
I can sew a straight line, but I fear my sewing machine is telling me it dislikes the thickness of the canvas I use for my needlecases. So..here's a lesson it telling your sewing machine YOU ARE THE BOSS OF IT!! Well, after you rip out 4 of these stinkin' things!

Zigzag
Find another stitch to use for this purpose and tell your sewing machine, nanananananaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!! I am also researching other ways (ie: fabric strips) for reinforcement on the edges.

**Disclaimer, I do not drink and sew..kinda hard when you are on/call all the time LOL! Cripes, I can sew my finger when I'm sober, don't need any other help! ;)
Just an FYI to my past, current, and future customers!**

Back to your regularly scheduled knitting. Yes, I have to schedule knitting. With the constant incoming custom orders and peeps wanting me to update my shop, I have to make time to knit. Trust me, I'm not complaining, just trying to fit it all in. Or I'd pull out my hair, chase family around with my needles, or just be really cranky! I'm no fun cranky!



18 comments:

Sarah Jackson said...

You tell that sewing machine! You might need to move up to an industrial model with this growing business of yours.

turtlegirl76 said...

Very clever solution!

Bezzie said...

Ha ha, I'm looking at the top version going "that's not so bad..." I might have to use that sewing machine smack talk this upcoming weekend. ;-)

DPUTiger said...

I agree with Turtlegirl ... very clever solution! Would a new needle help? Just a thought ... I have a Brother 1500 that loves tough stuff like that, but it is only a straight stitch machine. Pieces beautifully and has a large harp perfect for machine quilting. Now if I just had time to sew! :)

Carol said...

You show that machine! And yes, alcoholis optional for hurting yourself. I've stapled my finger while stone-cold sober at work. Twice.

Jennifer said...

Hmmm... I'm not that productive of a seamstress, so I have no thoughts. It might very well be the canvas. Could you use a different needle?

Anonymous said...

Hee hee! Tame that machine!

IrishGirlieKnits said...

We warned you early on...don't forget about us once you are famous Z!! Definately schedule the knitting for some relaxing!!!

Liz said...

My sewing machine does that as well!!!! And I only drink diet coke! I've just put it in for a service in the hope that it will be fixed.

I have added you as a link, hope it's ok. I'm having a blogoversary competition, so come on over and visit!

thegabbyknitter said...

Glad you were able to show your sewing machine who's boss!

bmom said...

Does it meander that way on lighter-weight fabric?

It's always good to have a plan B; the wider zig-zag looks great.

Jess said...

Nice to see you are back in control. :) I have tension problems with my sewing machine sometimes,and it will do that. I don't know if that's whats happening to you. Its probably from trying to sew through so much fabric right thar. I personally think the zigzag looks cooler, so maybe just go with it. :)

sgeddes said...

Clever solution! You show that machine who's boss!

weezalana said...

LOL! I'm picturing you dancing around your sewing machine going "neener neener neener!" ;)

cpurl17 said...

I just can't figure out why I can't read your blog when I log in at home!!! I can read it in bloglines but when I try to open it to make a comment, I get nothing!

If my sewing came out as good as your drunken sewing, I'd be happy!

Amanda said...

Hmm - I wish I was at home so I could look at the needle size I use for my canvas bags....ones for leather may be worth trying.

Also - are you using a walking foot? It helps me a lot in keeping stitching and fabric steady and lined up when I'm using something thick...

KnitPastis said...

You are really kicking out those needle cases! It's tough when you work so hard sewing something then have to go back and rip some stitches back. I have heard that a walking foot helps (I have not had the chance to use one yet).Let me know what you think.

Anonymous said...

Heh.. you mean that sewing isn't supposed to look like that? Mine usually does. I just made some coasters last night and boy were they wonky! Pics on my blog if you want to feel really good about your sewing skills!