Thursday, January 24, 2013

Puppy Dog Tails

Ever since I first saw this fiber spun up, I wanted it. It was a club colorway from Southern Cross Fibre, a few months before I got into the club (my one and only one...hey, I waited a looong time for this club ;)

SCF Puppydog Tails
Puppy Dog Tails Superwash Merino from Southern Cross Fibre,
4 oz., 264 yds of sportweight

I got lucky on a destash and it turned out to be perfect for my Snobby Holiday Swap partner.

It's a lovely, soft superwash merino. I tried to divide evenly...um...but I had a few issues, so I just went with the flow and spun it up.

I didn't get a skeined shot as it was a few days before Christmas, I had a houseful of people and had to start immediately to finish for the deadline....
Puppy Dog Tails
My goal was sock weight....got more of a sportweight and sadly not enough for the size needed for my swap partner....What you see here is only 1 of 2 yarn cakes.


SCF PDT
So I went with plan B....

Here are the n-ply leftovers...they turned out to be plan C....
PDT nply

B is for Lacey Baktus
LB in PDT
Turned out pretty well I think!  I knit the smaller yarn cake (by a few grams) first, then tied on the 2nd yarn cake and started the decreases. Used a US 7 needle with no mods.

LB on the bush
Baktus on a Bush!  It's a really easy pattern and works great for handspun too.

Oh...the plan C....it turned out to be an Owl Puff
wee baby owl
Size US 7 needles, no mods.  Most of these are knit up with 2 or more colors. I thought some stripey yarn worked even better.  My swap partner likes owls.

Me and my Daddy!
Are you my Daddy??
















5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, that certainly turned out well. Beautiful shawl and adorable owl.

IrishGirlieKnits said...

All of it is gorgeous!! But I just love the wee owl :) TOo cute!

dianne said...

I can see why you lusted after that bat! Wow is that pretty!

Discoknits said...

Well you certainly had a hoot with that project (couldn't resist).
In the first photo, the brown really does look doggy.

Jo said...

Love the owl! I've made quite a few of those :) I'm always amazed what yarn turns out like when it is spun.