Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Sometimes its the yarn, sometimes the needles, sometimes the technique

Do they tell you what to do? I am a very new sock knitter and trying to learn new techniques on how to make them. I am not one to know how to do things "one" way if possible. (ask hubby about the many ways I can get from here to there LOL! He hates my shortcuts through town!)

So far I've made socks on dpns, magic loop, and 2 circulars. So on this particular generic, plain sock I've cast on 2 circs (twice! no dice!) Attempted 2 socks at one time on magic loop...let's say..um...they were not working out. I couldn't keep the sides together no matter what I did, and the other darned sock when not being knit on..well UGH! I was going to switch to 2 socks on 2 circs, but I had to hurriedly finish a sockette to get the other needle. (which I did) And then discovered the difference between a 2.25 needle and a 2.75 needle. Both say US 2, but there is a difference, and myself being the um "type A" person, couldn't do it.

So for the 4th and FINAL cast on, I present DD's 1 Black Stripe, 1 Red Stripe Sock's debut, on magic loop. I am cranking on this sock. It wanted to be done with magic loop and wasn't going to stand for any other technique. ;)



Custom dyed superwash sock yarn by All Things Heather as requested by my darling daughter.

Conversation with daughter:
DD: Mom can you make me striped socks? (she loved the colors of my first pair).
Me: Sure, what kind do you want?
DD: 1 Black stripe, 1 Red stripe
Me: Ok, got that, but what kind of sock do you want?
DD: 1 Black stripe, 1 Red stripe
Me: (grrrr) No I mean, what style..short, long, patterned..
DD: just 1 Black stripe, 1 Red stripe
ME: A LITTLE PERTURBED HERE! Ok chickie, besides the 1 Black stripe, 1 Red stripe what else do you want.
DD: A plain sock with.....1 Black stripe, 1 Red stripe
ME: So I show her a plain 1" ribbed cuff with stockinette all around. "Like this??"
DD: Yes perfect!
ME: Phew, I need a tylenol!!! 11 year olds ;)

10 comments:

aija said...

I'm laughing out loud here (quietly! mine's finally asleep!) at your one stripe one stripe conversation :)

Rain said...

Mwahaha! Get with the programme - one black stripe, one red stripe. ;)

They look great so far.

Anonymous said...

I'm sticking to 5dpns when it comes to socks!

KnitPastis said...

I love my dpns! I can't wait to hear what DD says once she has them on her feet. She's going to show them off proudly to all her friends...then they are going to want a pair...hehehee

adrienne said...

The socks will be fantastic when they're done! The conversation is too funny :)

Anonymous said...

How much simpler can it be? It's only one red stripe, one black stripe! :)

Anonymous said...

She sounds just like my 11 yr. old son. VERY literal! I bet she will be showing those socks off to everyone when they're done.

cpurl17 said...

She's going to love them!

So far, I keep sticking to my 5 DPNs but maybe one day I'll bust out and learn a new way.

soapy said...

now you need to try 2 socks at once on DPN, double knitting one sock inside the other, then of course flat knitting socks on straights...heehee that should keep you busy a while
Glad shes happy now... wait another year or two..heehee LOL I shouldn't talk..

lobstah said...

I'm really boring and just use DPN's. It's nice that there are lots of options!