Sunday, October 01, 2006

In Memory

As most of you know, October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Who can miss all the pink items for sale almost anywhere you go. I choose to usually donate someway personally. This years cause is what you see below.



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


I only wished I had stumbled upon this site earlier, as I have 1 scarf done and 1 halfway done, and I do hope to whip out at least one more. Not a lot of time left. I've been trying to pick out the softest yarn I can find as I know whomever receives it, will definately need some soothing.

My mother passed away 16 years ago today from Breast Cancer. Had she realized that mammograms were important at her age and changes in your body are signals to see a Doctor, she may have been cured. Instead, she lasted barely 3 months from diagnosis to death. So please, most are found by mammograms and even though they are uncomfortable, if you are of an age or family history, get one. I used to perform mammograms and have had quite a few myself, so I've seen both sides of the spectrum.

I miss her everyday, I look just like her, I am crafty just like her, I...um...have a fabric stash just like her...(she was into tole painting, not knitting like me :). So much of myself reminds me of her. She loved to do things for others more than the other way around. The one comment she used to make was "just wait until you have a daughter, she's going to act just like you..stomping around, rolling her eyes, and just be crabby" Ha! I said, no way...well if she's looking down lately, she sees it so came true. The worst part is that she'll never know her and she only met my son as a baby, she would have been a great influence to them both.

So thanks for letting me honor her by posting this. I don't do this to make anyone depressed or anything. It's just something I needed to do. I kept myself busy today, trying not to think...but inevitably...it's there. Hugs everyone! :)

23 comments:

Mary said...

Zonda, you're quite the joiner, aren't you! More power to ya! And thanks so much for your participation in the "Think Pink" challenge. Syd extended the deadline, so you now have until October 15th. Be sure to let me know when your new scarf is finished and mailed, so you can be entered in my blog contest! :-)

Thanks again,
-Mary

Anonymous said...

Hugs to you, too! Loosing some of family is specially hard! Don't know whar would do without my Mom!

cpurl17 said...

Oh Z, I had no idea! Your Mom must have been a wonderful woman because she gave us you.
((((HUGS))))

I'm going to try and finish my scarf tonight.

I'm also going to call and schedule my mammo tomorrow (was putting it off until I had the new insurance plan). I wish you could do mine--I know you'd be caring and fast!

Anonymous said...

Hugs to you.

Scoutj said...

Hugs to you Z. I lost my mama too.
xoxo

Bezzie said...

Aw, what a sweet post. Hugs to you!!

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you. Your post is a lovely tribute.

Batty said...

I know this sounds corny, but I honestly believe your mama would be proud of you. Thank you for reminding us all. Women are taught that their bodies are all-important in some respects, but not worthy of attention in others. Thank you for pulling our attention from the external and trivial to the living, functioning woman on the inside. The one who needs looking after.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful tribute to your mother.

Trillian42 said...

((((HUGS))))

soapy said...

{{hugs}}

Anonymous said...

My thoughts are with you. What a wonderful thing you are doing to honor your mother's memory.

Jennifer said...

Such an important topic. What a beautiful way to honor your mother's memory.

Anonymous said...

Sending good thoughts your way on this difficult day for you. Breast cancer has touched so many families, great to remind us all that we can make contributions and educate ourselves. Lovely tribute to your mom.

Dk's Wife said...

Hey, it is your blog, you can post whatever you want. I love to read about those whom we honor!

Love and hugs!

lobstah said...

That is a beautiful tribute to your mother. Take care.

Rain said...

I think it'as good to look back and remember. Your mom sounds fantastic.

KnitPastis said...

I feel for you Z. I think it's wonderful and brave of you to talk about something so personal. It will hopefully make me stop putting off my appt I have to make for my mamogram. Whomever gets your scarf is going to cherish it.

Sharon P said...

HUGS!

I was good and had my mamo last Thursday since I turned 40 last month - thank you for sharing your story!

historicstitcher said...

Thanks for sharing that with us. Breast cancer has touched my family many times, from my mother's father (YES, people, MEN can get breast cancer, too!) to my cousin, at age 22, and several others in between. I have my ways of giving, as well. I think the giving is just as personal as the stories.

*hug*

Anonymous said...

What wonderful memories you have of your mom. It sounds like you were very close.
I have an appt. for my 2nd mamogram in a couple of weeks.

Lone Knitter said...

This is a beautiful story you have, and it's a wonderful way to share your love of your mother with us.

Anonymous said...

This is a beautiful, touching tribute to your mother. Thank you for reminding us all how important Breast Cancer Awareness Month should be to all of us.