Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Socktoberfest 2006

Lolly asked us to share our sock history, so here goes mine:

When did you start making socks? Jan/Feb 06
Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? Mainly by myself, various online tutorials and my friends online and at Knitty. or in a class? I finally got to take a socks on 2 circular class in March.
What was your first pair? Plain ole stockinette socks pictured to your left ;) in Lion Brand Magic Stripes in Lumberjack. Done in Magic Loop as I couldn't figure out the dpns and hadn't taken the 2 circ. class yet.
How have they "held up" over time? Really well!! Hardly any pilling, and that is on the inside.
What would you have done differently? Paid more attention to the markers when doing the first gusset decreases and toe decreases (I do have 1 wonky toe on this!
What yarns have you particularly enjoyed? hmm...of all the yarns I have used so far...All Things Heather Golden Pear sportweight. You can see below as the start of the Anastasia Socks my first toe ups! I knit my first Thuja's in Lion Brand Woolease...eeek, not fun at all. I have quite a few other yarns in the queue to try though! :)
Do you like to crochet your socks? No
or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method? All three, depending on the pattern or needle size needed. I do plan on 2 socks on 2 circs when I get an easy pair on the needles though...
Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? or short-row?) Well, since I've only made flaps so far, flaps LOL! I do plan on trying short rows this month, so I'll let you know!
How many pairs have you made? 8 total with 2 on the needles and sooooo many more in the queue!!!


Anastasia Socks




Cascade Fixation Ankle socks


Karen's Sugar-Free Diabetes Walk Socks - should be fast as it is worsted weight, however, my first cabled socks.


Pink Ribbons - The Cure colorway by Sunshine YarnsThe top 3 are my main goals. These would be an added bonus.


Thuja -These would be another added bonus...worsted weight also, Volcano colorway by Sunshine Yarns

I hope to knit a few pairs, but I will see how it goes, the Anastasia's will be a big challenge as a lace pattern and toe up. Socktoberfest is not a competition, it is about knitting the socks, why we like to do so...should be why we love to buy the yarn too!! um..er..we won't talk about that.

Thank you everyone for your comments on my last post! You all really helped me in many ways!! Take care! Off to knit...um..scarves oops I mean socks ;)

9 comments:

Rain said...

Well I don't think your toe looks wonky.

Jennifer said...

Look at all the socks begging to be knit! Lovely yarn!

Sarah said...

Nice toe!

yay socks!

I can't wait to start on my next pair either!

Anonymous said...

Love the color of those Anastaisa socks!

turtlegirl76 said...

The Anastasia Sock - isn't that the same toe and yarn that you started at my place?

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmmm. Pretty yarn. I really like the yarn you are using for the Anastasia socks (which I've started and ripped out 4 times so far). And The Cure colorway is amazing. Good luck on knitting up all those socks!

soapy said...

ohhh such nice yarns! Love the colors too!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe your first socks were done magic loop, seems trickier than dpns for me, lol.

Beautiful yarn for the Anastasia socks, and don't worry, I bet those cabled socks will be a breeze for you. :)

KnitPastis said...

Very cool yarn you have lined up there and I really love the pastel colored one the best! I too am trying to knit cable socks..oh yeah, you already know that:) So far I hope you are having better luck at it than I am.LOL