Wednesday, July 25, 2007

It shoulda been......

A full sock by now!!!
Below you are viewing the full cuff of sock 1 or should I say reknit of sock 1 part trois. First cast on was 72 stitches and the black was on one side of the sock, purple/blue on the other. (US 1 circs) Plus when I tried it on (of course I had both socks cast on) it fell...now I know my pal has feet 2 sizes bigger than mine, but um...I knew it wasn't going to work. So Frogging part Uno! (hey, isn't that a cool game? ooops, back to the sock story!)

Due to size and pooling issues, I recast on (only 1) and 60 sts on the same US 1's. Knit the entire cuff. Tried it on, could barely get it past my heel...sigh...Frogging part deux! I didn't picture it, I was bummed, but it looked just like the one below, only smaller. (good thing it is only 1 sock though!) Nice striping though!

Onward to my new KP US 2/3.0mm circs, cast on 60 again and voila! What you see below. What a difference like .5mm makes in the sizing. The reducing of the stitches from 72 to 60 fixed the pooling, (thank you LittleMy!) but the needle change made it fit a tiny bit bigger than I'd make for me...so perfect for her.

Lower left is the second sock, once I knew it was safe I cast on......again. I call these pictures Cuffs 3 and 4
Cuff 3 and 4

Cuff 3 and 4
Wollmeise Sockenwolle in the Versuchskaninchen Colorway, pattern is Broad Spiral Ribbing Sock from More Sensational Knitted Socks. The yarn is very nice to knit with! Very soft. Now if I could stop it from tangling up while knitting (it gets twisty and sometimes into knots). How do you stop that? I mean, I have this happen on almost every sock yarn I've used so I know it's not the yarn...do I wind wrong??

So..now you see why I shoulda had a sock done!!! I'll get them done in time...I know I will...we now have until the 7th of August for mailing, but I'm hoping by Monday or Tuesday. No other knitting is allowed, internet here and there, I mean gotta take breaks, and the sewing machine is resting a much needed rest. I do have to work, but I'm not on call!!! :) (which is why the time setback! gah!)

Plus...I am dying to tell you who they are for, but I can't until she gets them! And for the few of you who do know, shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Must....knit....faster

15 comments:

IrishGirlieKnits said...

Wow! Amazing what a difference stitches and needles and all that make! The sock looks gorgeous now!! I love that colorway :) So pretty.

Jennifer said...

That is looking so cool!

Karen said...

I guess we should all listen to the old advice - "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again". You are proof that it works - this try is spectacular. And I know you will get them done in plenty of time. Good for you!!!

Stacey said...

Is it me? :D Because I want them! Pretty Pretty!

KnitPastis said...

You picked a perfect pattern for this colorway. This yarn looks so pretty!
She's a lucky girl who gets this pair of socks:)

I'll have to keep this Wollmeise in mind. On the twisting and knots, I tend to get that too when the yarn is very thin and comes twisted tight from the company. It does that with me on Tess yarn that I am knitting with right now and with the Lornas Laces. Annoying, I know but the yarns are great.

Anonymous said...

It looks like your back on track now. What gorgeous socks!

Stacey said...

it's amazing how .5mm can make such a big difference!!!! they look great!

Bezzie said...

You are the world's most dedicated sock knitter. If it were me, the lucky girl would be getting funky pooling socks!

Rain said...

Hope you get them done in time.

sgeddes said...

Wow sounds like the .5mm made a huge difference. I love the colors! I'm really glad to hear that everthing is on track now.

I know she is just going to love those socks!

Anonymous said...

Now you've got me all curious about who they are for!

I love the colors and the pattern; whoever they are for, they're very lucky :)

Anonymous said...

Sending you fast knitting thoughts :-)

weezalana said...

Perseverance pays off! :) Thanks for the input on the Wollemeise, too. I've been wondering about that stuff, it seems to be the new "it" girl around these days. I thought I read somewhere that someone said the colors are great but it wasn't too soft. I'll hold off on adding some for now but now it's higher up on my radar!

Anonymous said...

I love those colors, it's knitting up really well after all your frustration. It seems everyone is posting their Wollmeise lovelies, and I really NEED to get my hands on some!

And yeah, I LOVE Uno! Major wars have broken out over that game around here. :)

Anonymous said...

Love those colours! And such a great pattern to still show the stripes. I'm going to have to remember that pattern.