Monday, December 17, 2007

Swirly fun!

Swirl Socks for Maggie. When I first signed up to knit socks for her, I wanted to do this pattern. I had yarn and was ready to go. Sock 1 about killed me! Sock 2 was knit on my trip and a breeze compared to the first one. But isn't that almost always what happens when learning a new pattern. I learned to do a RT and LT, which is Right Twist and Left Twist. I kept calling them turns though..no idea why?? I feared that R&LT....badly...then one day it clicked!

The swirl pattern looks a bit weird this way, but if you click on the pattern link above, you'll see how it is supposed to look. I took pictures then shipped the package out before I uploaded and fixed so you won't see them frontways. They took forever to dry as it's so hot and humid here...I'm not a happy camper about that..

Swirl Socks for Maggie
Twisted DK Sock yarn in the Netherfield Colorway, Mutating Variegate (she names each striping pattern the yarn is dyed in, pretty cool I think!)
US 3 Addi 40" circ, magic looped (been feeling loopy lately, therefore almost everything I've been knitting is ML!)

I love this yarn, it's so soft and the organic striping of the yarn is wild. I did have to frog a bit and it got a bit splitty, but what yarn doesn't! After knitting with fingering for so many pairs of socks, I welcomed dk weight! I didn't try to match up the striping at all, mainly due to Maggie wanting wild socks. I have quite a bit of her yarns in different weights and stripings and can't wait to use it all!

Picot edge
My first picot edge! Not half bad...well after knitting it 3 times on sock 1. I tell you this stuff not to show you how great I am at frogging, but hoping someone else can learn by my mistakes. They were too tight on US 4's I ended up using US 6's for the bind off. The stitching inside went smooth. Definately not my last ones...thinking mini-monkeys in the future.

Short row heel
Ahhhh my old nemesis the Short Row Heel. I used to try the yarn over one, as I had the worst time seeing the wraps...still do and often have to use markers, but it was worse on the purl row.
Enter Cristi showing me on the ride to SAFF how to pick them up on the public side of the sock. She's my short row heel rescuer that girl is! ;) I got even better at it as sock 1's SRH was frogged 3 times!!

The only thing I feel to remember when using a SRH and having to pickup extra stitches for the gap....figure in the decreasing of said "extra" stitches into the pattern. Sock 1 has a set of swirls a bit closer than Sock 2 due to this. I tried to decrease all "extra" stitches in the first 2 rounds, but it still messed it up a bit. Any solutions to figuring that part out. Sock 2 went much better, but it took me a bit to figure it out.


Off they goHere they are packed up and ready to go! No heat on here so they took forever to dry after their spa bath.

18 comments:

turtlegirl76 said...

Oooh those are very pretty! I like the way that pattern works! Sorta like Anastasia but without the YOs. Very cool.

Cat Bordhi is my sock queen. I credit her for showing me the light on SRHs.

Jo said...

I love how subtle and pretty the socks are. They are beautiful!

Scoutj said...

They are GORGEOUS!

Anonymous said...

What beautiful socks!

Sarah Jackson said...

Absolutely lovely, Zonda. Wow.

sgeddes said...

The colors are so pretty. Good work on that pattern. I love the swirls! I'll have to give that pattern a try.

weezalana said...

Lovely! When I need to close a heel gap, I pick up a stitch, twist it, and knit it together with a working stitch right away. Works like a charm, and doesn't add any additional stitches to the gusset.

Jody said...

Those are the coolest socks ever!! i love the pattern and the yarn - I want a pair just like them!!

Sandra said...

lucky receiver!

Knittypants said...

Those are so pretty, love the yarn with the pattern.

Jennifer said...

Gorgeous! I bet Maggie will love them.

tiennieknits said...

These are beautiful! Maggie will love them!

IrishGirlieKnits said...

Those are absolutely gorgeous! I love the color and the pattern together! If she doesn't love them...you know where to send them..hehehe!

Lynn said...

Saw these on SAM4 and had to come here and comment. They are GORGEOUS!! You did a great job!!!!

Mary, Mary... said...

Dang, those are purdy! I don't think I'm smart enough to keep track of the Rt and LT action, but it's tempting...;)

thegabbyknitter said...

Those came out beautifu and the swirls look great!

kemtee said...

AAAAAAA!!!! Those came out so well!!

She may never take them off, you know. : )

freshisle said...

Lovely! I think your heels look super.