Sunday, November 23, 2008

Phew...it was a close one!

You see, hubby has been great and doing the laundry since my last surgery and treatment. So..hey, I don't mind, not like I don't have anything else to do (ha!) I just fold and iron. Works for me, only a few minor mishaps....until today (can you guess where this is going?)

I put my handknit socks in a pile on the floor, to remind myself to wash them today. Bad part was they were near his piles of laundry. Off I went to do grocery shopping and forgot all about them...until I returned home. As I was putting some stuff away..I saw the pile was gone...and in the washer, with a pair of jeans...EEEK!

I got them all out, they were full of soap...hubby needs to learn to use a bit less...I rinsed them 2 times and inspected the damage.

The culprit... The culprits. See the burgundy pair, yep that's them. See the Seriously, with a titch of burgundy sock to your left (and my camera strap too!) I've only worn them 2 times and still think the dye is wanting to come on out..so it did with the help of the washer.

Seriously....a bit...
Yeah..Seriously a bit tinged...oh well, I do have enough leftovers to knit a short pair though.. Any socks with any light/white did get tinged...except for...

Survivors
My Vesper ones..but they did felt a bit...you know the jeans in the wash..hey, since when do you wash lights and darks...hubby needs another lesson in color separating huh ;)


As they dry
They are all drying now. All have suffered some felting except for the Wollmeise, my first pair (2nd row, left red, black, white burgundy ;) and the Seriously socks. I won't know if they'll still fit, hopefully they will, but you can believe from now on I am getting a basket and marking it, "hubby don't touch" as suggested by a plurk pal.

It could have been worse though...I could have found them in the dryer!!!!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good thing they survived. :) I'm so bad, I throw all my hand knit socks in the wash and the dryer. Bad knitter.

Renna said...

Yikes! Yes, it could've been worse. They could've ended up fitting a Barbie doll! :-o

Manda said...

EEK!!

I have a sock sack that I got from TLE that hangs on the back of my bedroom door. All my handknit socks go in there, and then I wash 'em when it's full or I don't have anymore handknit socks to wear. :)

Bezzie said...

See? And people think I'm crazy for NEVER letting my husband do the laundry!!

Julie said...

Good thing you came home when you did!!

chemgrrl said...

Oh man, have I been there. I've told the blub never to wash my stuff, but he has the memory of a goldfish and an inherent desire to "help."

Glad more damage wasn't done!

Karen said...

Wow, talk about a close call!!!! I'm glad they seem to be okay. And are you sure it wasn't an intention "mistake" to get himself fired off of laundry duty?? LOL

kemtee said...

That's grounds for annulment in my house.

Seriously -- since Hizzoner shrunk a Lands' End lambswool turtleneck of mine by putting it IN THE DRYER, he automatically separates anything knit from the rest of the wash. (Methinks he's still smarting from that one.)

And piles the socks in the bathroom sink for me to do.

DPUTiger said...

Yeek! I machine wash all of my socks on cold in our frontloader. Actually, my husband is more anal than I am about laundry, but I did freak out a bit when he hung one of my handknit sweaters to dry. Fortunately, it was All Seasons Cotton, so there was no permanent damage. I hope all of your socks come out wearable!

sgeddes said...

Yea! You saved them. I always hide those delicate items just in case the old man decides to pitch in and do the laundry.

The extra basket is a great idea.

Beverly said...

Yeow! Close call! Hubs did the laundry the last time I was out of town on business. He left everything in the dryer, so I decided to fold it for him. That's when I discovered that he washed whites and darks in the same load. Not good.

Carol said...

Fingers crossed they are okay.

Knitty Cent said...

SURGERY?!? wow, i've really been out of the loop. glad to hear you're on the mend.

poor sockies, so glad they ended up okay for the most part. i've got that colorway of vesper in my stash, i really need to knit 'em up! ^_^

IrishGirlieKnits said...

UGH!!! I mean, mistakes like this, well, it could drive a girl to go buy more sock yarn (with the hubbies credit card too!)....hehehhe Hope they survive okay!

weezalana said...

Yikes! Good thing you caught them before they hit the dryer! This is why I banned Hubster from doing laundry many years ago. ;)

Anonymous said...

YIKES, that was close! We all do our own laundry here (I hate the way hubby folds) and handknit items are stacked on the dryer until I get around to washing them properly.