Sunday, November 22, 2009

2 years ago....

I knit this hat, in fact just a couple days over 2 years ago. I really loved wearing it, especially when we went to Maine in December of that year for a college tour. It got a lot of use.

Sadly, it grew a bit big and I was unable to wear it without rolling up the edge or leaving a big pouf at the back of my head...not pleasant either way.

So...I frogged the yarn, which coincindentally, is 1 day shy of 1 year ago. Planned on a reknit as I love the yarn and colorway. It took a year to find the hat I really wanted to knit, and here it is.

Front pose
Quincy by Brooklyntweed
Recycled Rowan Scottish Tweed Chunky in Lobster Colorway, 1.5 skeins I'm thinking, it was the two largest of the 3 recycled bumps I got. Wait a minute, I need to find the rest, there are more than 3 bumps....off to find the leftovers....
US 10 circular (hey you know I dislike straights ;) and dpn's

Side view 1
Not a bad grafting job if I say so myself. I feel every knitter should own this book. It shows how to graft in stockinette and garter, plus a million other things. It's one the the best gifts I could have gotten. So hey, if you are looking for a gift for a fellow knitter this year...there ya go!

Quincy Hat
I love this feature. One can wear the hat anyway you want to really. You may see other pictures of this hat with the twist on the other side...yeah..that's the way it's supposed to be, but hey, I like to be different ;) I also like how that hat looks from the side better than the front...but I didn't look in the mirror before my self inflicted photoshoot. My photographer had the gall to go see the newest Twilight movie.
Top O'the head shot
I love the decreases here. A new way for me and fun. Love the look especially. I also love the I-cord edging. You knit it as you go. Who knows, I may try knitting a matching scarf this way..wait that would entail knitting back and forth on a small width project....eeek..um..maybe not ;)

Here's my usual hat model from an earlier day at twilight, the only one that was good.
Quincy Hat
Shows another way to wear it. Very versatile hat I think. I'm really happy with my reknit.

I am only bummed that this yarn is discontinued. Heck, don't even try finding this colorway in the US at....all..... I have a wee bit left of the chunky....however....4 balls of the DK weight, so stay tuned for some mitts to go with the hat. If enough, I may try a cowl or small scarf. This yarn isn't the most softest, but it's tweed and just lovely at that!

I didn't buy the patternlet. I really didn't see myself knitting any other patterns in it. For me to buy a whole book/patternlet/magazine, I really like to see more than 1 thing I'd ever knit. Glad I could get just the hat pattern itself here.

16 comments:

freshisle said...

Great re-do!
I always like I-cord edging. It gives such a nice finish.

Lynn said...

Nice hat!!!!

Sarah Jackson said...

I love that hat on you - you look so jaunty! Great use of the yarn.

I'm tempted to buy the booklet, but I'm trying to resist.

Bezzie said...

Such an interesting construction. I'm a little bummed you somehow didn't slip a coffee mug shot in there though ;-)

Mag said...

Awesome recycling! What a cool hat, and in red! not the standard "Brooklyn Beige" ;-)

Chris said...

Ok, I never wear hats, but that one is very cool.

DPUTiger said...

That's a cool hat. I love I-cord in all of its different applications. Neato!

IrishGirlieKnits said...

Look at you recycling yarn!! Such a great hat too!!

weezalana said...

Very interesting hat construction! And great job on the recycling!

Opal said...

love!

KnitPastis said...

You did a beautiful grafting job indeed! This hat is awesome. You always look so pretty in hats!

Sandra said...

Mega groovy hat! really suits you!
Tnx for mentioning that book - I am total craft book addict and soon it'll be on my shelf!

kathy b said...

Oh it is a winner. I LOVE the colors. Great great knit up

Unknown said...

Great recycle! Love the color too.

I so need to find a copy of Jared's book as there are quite a few things in there I'm jonesing to make.

Carol said...

the hat looks great nad it does look like a nifty pattern.

turtlegirl76 said...

Oooh! I love it! It looks great on you! I need to make that hat.